Most Active Stories
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
New England News
Tue November 27, 2012
Casino Developers Revive Holyoke Proposal
A plan to build a resort casino on a golf course in Holyoke Massachusetts is being revived, now that the city’s mayor has changed his position on the casino issue. WAMC’s Paul Tuthill reports
Almost ten months after newly elected Holyoke Mayor Alex Morse almost literally slammed the door on their casino proposal, Paper City Development Company managing partner Joe Lashinger has asked for another meeting with the mayor.
Lashinger’s group first proposed building a casino on the Wyckoff Country Club in 2010, but had to walk away last year following Morse’s election. Morse says he will now entertain casino offers because he fears a casino in Springfield, where three projects are proposed, would harm Holyoke’s already fragile economy. A Holyoke businessmen is pitching a casino at Mountain Park, an outdoor concert venue.