Most Active Stories
- Dr. Russell Johnson, Michigan State University - The Harmful Effects of Smartphones
- The Great Debate - Single Payer or Private Insurance
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- A Whole Lotta Flash: Lesli Margherita In "Matilda: The Musical"
New England News
Fri November 15, 2013
Casino Opponents Push For Ballot Question To Repeal Gaming Law
A group of casino opponents in Massachusetts will hold a final drive this weekend to collect signatures to put a question on next November’s ballot to repeal the state’s gambling law.
The organization “ Repeal The Casino Deal” is hoping to exceed the goal this weekend to collect a total of 70,000 signatures of registered voters by the Wednesday deadline. Volunteers plan to canvass more than a dozen communities including West Springfield, Longmeadow,Hadley and Lenox, according to Steve Abdou one of the organization’s founders. Casino opponents believe the state-wide repeal drive has picked up momentum as a result of votes in Palmer and East Boston earlier this month to reject proposed casinos.