Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
- Conservation Group Praises USCG, EPA Oil-Spill Response Plan Effort
New England News
Tue July 9, 2013
Casino Opponents Schedule Rally In Springfield
Clergy who oppose a casino in western Massachusetts are holding a rally Tuesday afternoon in downtown Springfield.
The Council of Churches of Western Massachusetts is urging Springfield voters to reject MGM Resort’s $800 million dollar casino development. The city-wide referendum is on Tuesday July 16th. Archbishop Timothy Paul, president of the Council of Churches of Western Massachusetts said studies show casinos cause an increase in problem gambling, violent crime, personal bankruptcies and homelessness
An MGM official said he respected the clergy’s opposition to gambling on moral grounds. He said MGM is experienced in managing and mitigating the negative impacts of casinos.