Most Active Stories
- Dr. Russell Johnson, Michigan State University - The Harmful Effects of Smartphones
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- The Great Debate - Single Payer or Private Insurance
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- A Whole Lotta Flash: Lesli Margherita In "Matilda: The Musical"
New England News
Sun May 12, 2013
Casino Opponents In Springfield Promise A Fight
MGM Resorts must now convince voters in Springfield Massachusetts to endorse the company’s western Massachusetts casino project.
The unanimous vote for a casino development agreement with MGM by the Springfield City Council Friday night sets up a likely mid-July voter referendum. MGM has spents millions already marketing its casino plans in Springfield. But, Bishop Timothy Paul of the Council of Churchs of Western Massachusetts vows opposing voices will be heard.
Springfield voters must say yes before MGM can apply for a casino license from the Massachusetts Gaming Commission.. Competing casino proposals are in Palmer and West Springfield.