Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
Hudson Valley News
Tue May 22, 2012
Catholic groups rally against birth control coverage
Several New York-based Catholic organizations are joining a nationwide court challenge to a government mandate requiring most employers to provide birth control coverage as part of their employee health plans. WAMC’s Dave Lucas reports.
The Archdiocese of New York and the suburban Diocese of Rockville Centre filed suit Monday in federal court in Brooklyn. The plaintiffs also include Catholic Health Services of Long Island, Catholic Charities of Rockville Centre and ArchCare, a Catholic health care service.
Cardinal Timothy Dolan says the lawsuit was filed after negotiations to overturn the mandate failed.
The U.S. Health and Human Services Department adopted the rule last year. An advisory panel from the Institute of Medicine says coverage for birth control would promote maternal and child health.
Catholic groups and others argue the mandate violates religious freedom.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.
Shots - Health Blog