Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
- Conservation Group Praises USCG, EPA Oil-Spill Response Plan Effort
New York News
Mon March 18, 2013
Celeb fracking group not registered
Celebrities belonging to the group Artists Against Fracking are using star power to gain attention, but they may be running afoul of it.
The group created last year stages events with stars opposed to drilling for natural gas in upstate New York hydraulic fracturing.
It says forcing water and chemicals into underground rock to extract gas threatens drinking water and the environment.
But a search of the state lobbying board's online records show the group and nearly 200 entertainers who are gaining attention and support aren't registered lobbyists.
The law is designed to disclose to the public who is trying to influence government action.
The group has not responded for comment.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.