Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- How Technology Is Transforming Archaeology
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
Fri November 9, 2012
Chipmaker Scoping Out Upstate NY
Could there be yet another computer chip manufacturer looking to build in Upstate New York? Hudson Valley Bureau Chief Dave Lucas explores the possibility.
The buzz is out: local media has gotten wind that a global consulting firm has been putting out feelers in Saratoga, the Capital Region, and along the Hudson Valley. An unnamed semiconductor manufacturer is looking for a good site to construct a factory. Some observers say if it happens, it cements the vision of "Tech Valley" and will bring increasing economic stability and new jobs to upstate New York.
Confidentiality agreements have been cited by officials at the Center for Economic Growth and at Luther Forest Technology Campus when they were asked about what company might be knocking on the region's door.
The Times Union suggests Intel is the chipmaker currently window-shopping in the region. Intel officials had no comment.