Most Active Stories
- Dr. Jeffrianne Wilder, University of North Florida – Skin Color and Racism
- Boston Bombing Suspect's Body Finally 'Entombed,' Police Say
- Dr. Zlatan Krizan, Iowa State University – Envy and Narcissism
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
New England News
Thu June 21, 2012
Competing Casino Proposals Possible In Downtown Springfield
Two Massachusetts businessmen, who happen to be brothers, may be competing to build a resort casino in the downtown area of the state’s third largest city. WAMC”s Paul Tuthill reports.
A company controlled by Peter Picknelly is offering to buy the North Main street property owned by the Republican Newspaper of Springfield for a casino development. And, according to the paper, Paul Picknelly has approached city officials about a plan to build a casino along South Main street. Springfield City Council President James Ferrera says the level of interest in a casino for Springfield is exciting.
Nevada based gaming company Ameristar has purchased a former industrial site on the city’s east side for a casino.. The state’’s new gambling law allows for one casino license in the four western most counties..