Most Active Stories
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
- Mayor-Elect, City Leaders Call For Verizon FIOS In Albany
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
New England News
Thu June 21, 2012
Competing Casino Proposals Possible In Downtown Springfield
Two Massachusetts businessmen, who happen to be brothers, may be competing to build a resort casino in the downtown area of the state’s third largest city. WAMC”s Paul Tuthill reports.
A company controlled by Peter Picknelly is offering to buy the North Main street property owned by the Republican Newspaper of Springfield for a casino development. And, according to the paper, Paul Picknelly has approached city officials about a plan to build a casino along South Main street. Springfield City Council President James Ferrera says the level of interest in a casino for Springfield is exciting.
Nevada based gaming company Ameristar has purchased a former industrial site on the city’s east side for a casino.. The state’’s new gambling law allows for one casino license in the four western most counties..