Most Active Stories
- Boston Bombing Suspect's Body Finally 'Entombed,' Police Say
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Dr. Zlatan Krizan, Iowa State University – Envy and Narcissism
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
New York News
Fri February 15, 2013
Comprehensive Climate Change Legislation Introduced in U.S. Senate
Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders and California Senator Barbara Boxer have introduced legislation to address climate change by imposing fees on carbon emissions and funding sustainable energy.
Senator Boxer is Chair of the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works. Senator Sanders is a member of that committee and serves on the Senate Energy Committee. On Thursday they introduced the Climate Protection Act and the Sustainable Energy Act. Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders says climate change is not a political issue.
California Senator Barbara Boxer described a briefing from climate experts as shocking, if nothing is done to stem climate change.
Environmental writer and activist Bill McKibben stood beside the Senators as they introduced the new legislation.
Sierra Club Executive Director Mike Brune says the economy of climate change legislation has for too long been ignored.
Senator Sanders was asked how he will respond to inevitable criticism about a carbon fee’s impact on the price of gas.
A link to more information on the Sanders-Boxer climate change legislation is available here.
New York News
North Country News
Commentary & Opinion