Most Active Stories
- Cheerios Commercial Leaves Bitter Taste
- Breaking the Sound Barrier - NPR Labs Brings Radio To Hearing Impaired
- Dr. Dorothy Peteet, Columbia University – Hudson River and Climate Records
- Dr. Sara Konrath, University of Michigan – Age and Empathy
- Mass. Medical Marijuana Regulations Approved, Communities Prepare For Dispensaries
New England News
Fri November 16, 2012
Computing Center Construction Completed
A state of the art energy efficient high performance computing center is going on line in Holyoke Massachusetts. WAMC”s Paul Tuthill reports
A formal ribbon cutting ceremony with Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick is set for Friday afternoon. Partners in the $165 million dollar project include the state, the University of Massachusetts, Harvard, MIT and high tech companies EMC and Cisco. At a topping off ceremony, a year ago, Gov Patrick predicted the computing center would bring the state’s renowned innovation economy to economically struggling Holyoke.
Holyoke was chosen as the site for the computing center because of the availability of inexpensive hydropower, and water from industrial canals to help cool the facility.