Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Riverkeeper Raises Concern Over Fracking Waste As De-Icer For NY Roads
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- NY: Vatican Survey & "Francis Effect"
New England News
Tue October 16, 2012
Condos Says Vote May be Official After Thanksgiving
Vermonters may have their Thanksgiving turkey before knowing the official results of the Nov. 6 election.
That's the word from Secretary of State Jim Condos, who says he's worried about a delay that could be caused by a lawsuit brought by the U.S. Department of Justice.
The federal agency wants the state to push back until Nov. 16 — ten days after the election — the deadline for overseas and military voters to get their ballots to municipal clerks.
The lawsuit says the delay is needed because a recount in the Progressive gubernatorial primary delayed issuance of some ballots past the Sept. 22 deadline.
Condos says if the delay is granted, it could take until after the Thanksgiving holiday for his office to certify official election results.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.