Most Active Stories
- Scenic Rail Planned for Northern Berkshires, But Work Remains
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Mayor-Elect, City Leaders Call For Verizon FIOS In Albany
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
New York News
Tue May 28, 2013
Congressman Tours Beer Distributor
New York Congressman Bill Owens toured a beer distributor in Plattsburgh this afternoon.
The regional distributor of beers was founded in 1945, and brings packaged beer to restaurants and retail locations throughout Clinton and northern Essex Counties. As a group of workers loaded a truck with cases and kegs of beer, Congressman Bill Owens sought to find out the basics of the distribution business.
Plattsburgh Distributers President Jack Fischer invited Owens to see a small business in operation.
Fischer explained to Owens that the company carries about 213 brands of beer with 553 different types of packaging.
Jack Fischer and sales manager Jim Cring led the Congressman into two climate controlled areas of the warehouse. Kegs are kept cold, and Budweiser products are required to be kept chilled.
The company uses outdoor air in the climate controlled areas during the winter to save the company about a month’s energy costs. It also uses electric, rather than propane, powered forklifts because they are cleaner and more efficient.