Most Active Stories
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
New England News
Thu June 13, 2013
Conn. Delegation To Speak On Newtown Anniversary
Members of Connecticut's congressional delegation are commemorating the upcoming six-month anniversary of the school shooting in Newtown with speeches on the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives.
Reps. Elizabeth Esty, Rosa DeLauro, John Larson, Joe Courtney and Jim Himes, all Democrats, are scheduled to address their colleagues this morning.
They are expected to renew their call for federal action on enhanced background checks for gun purchases, a proposal that failed to receive enough support in the Senate back in April despite public support.
Other House Democrats are also expected to speak, including House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi and House Democratic Whip Steny Hoyer.
Efforts to pass federal legislation were prompted by the Dec. 14 massacre of 20 first-grade children and six adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.