Most Active Stories
- Saratoga County Sheriff's Sgt. Resigns, Charged With Misconduct After Video Goes Viral
- Pittsfield's 3rd Thursdays Undergoes Changes For 2015 Season
- Donation Of Historic Amusement Park May Be Brought To Referendum
- Maloney: de Blasio "Should Have Head Examined" After Withholding Clinton Endorsement
- Williams College New Environmental Center Reaching For High Bar
New England News
Thu June 13, 2013
Conn. Delegation To Speak On Newtown Anniversary
Members of Connecticut's congressional delegation are commemorating the upcoming six-month anniversary of the school shooting in Newtown with speeches on the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives.
Reps. Elizabeth Esty, Rosa DeLauro, John Larson, Joe Courtney and Jim Himes, all Democrats, are scheduled to address their colleagues this morning.
They are expected to renew their call for federal action on enhanced background checks for gun purchases, a proposal that failed to receive enough support in the Senate back in April despite public support.
Other House Democrats are also expected to speak, including House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi and House Democratic Whip Steny Hoyer.
Efforts to pass federal legislation were prompted by the Dec. 14 massacre of 20 first-grade children and six adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.