Most Active Stories
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- White House Cites Pre-Existing Condition Case From Its Own Ranks
New England News
Thu April 4, 2013
Conn. lawmakers pass wide-ranging gun control law
Connecticut lawmakers have approved legislation in response to last year's deadly school shooting in Newtown.
Following hours of respectful and at times somber debate, the House and the Senate voted in favor of the 139-page bill crafted by leaders from both major parties in the Democratic-controlled General Assembly.
The bill now goes to Democratic Gov. Dannel Malloy, who plans to sign it at noon on Thursday.
Some of the measures take effect right away. Those include expansion of the state's assault weapons ban, background checks for all firearms sales and a ban on the sale or purchase of magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. The bill also addresses mental health and school security measures.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.