Most Active Stories
- Retracing The Steps Of Solomon Northup In Saratoga Springs
- Health Summit Focuses On Gender Equality In Clinical Research
- Vox Pop : Medical Monday - Dr. Richard Horowitz : 2/24/14
- Senate Republicans Block Sanders Omnibus Veterans Bill
- Dr. David Trilling, Northern Arizona University - Can an asteroid impact Earth?
New England News
Tue April 2, 2013
Conn. lawmakers unveil bipartisan gun control plan
Connecticut lawmakers say they hope their announcement of proposals to curb gun violence sends a message to Congress and other state legislators that bipartisan agreement on gun control is possible.
Legislative leaders yesterday revealed proposals spurred by the Dec. 14 Newtown school shooting following weeks of bipartisan, closed-door negotiations. A vote is expected Wednesday in the General Assembly, where passage is all but assured.
Senate President Donald E. Williams Jr. says Democrats and Republicans were able to agree on a "strong, comprehensive bill," and that message should resound around the country.
The proposals include a ban on new high-capacity ammunition magazines like the ones used in the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School that left 20 children and six educators dead and a statewide dangerous weapon offender registry.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.