Most Active Stories
- Dr. Russell Johnson, Michigan State University - The Harmful Effects of Smartphones
- The Great Debate - Single Payer or Private Insurance
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- Glens Falls Prepares For Basketball Tournament Weekend
New England News
Wed April 3, 2013
Conn. lawmakers to vote on gun control package
Connecticut lawmakers are expected to pass a package of gun control measures they believe are some of the most comprehensive in the country, following the Newtown school massacre.
Debate on the far-reaching legislation, negotiated by Democratic and Republican legislative leaders, is expected to begin later this morning.
It could last for hours. Both gun rights advocates and gun control supporters are expected to show up in large numbers.
Some measures in the bill would take effect immediately, including expansion of the state's assault weapons ban, background checks for all firearms sales, and a ban on the sale or purchase of ammunition magazines holding more than 10 rounds.
Gov. Dannel Malloy says he'll sign the legislation into law. Many family members of the shooting victims have voiced their support.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.