Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Riverkeeper Raises Concern Over Fracking Waste As De-Icer For NY Roads
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- NY: Vatican Survey & "Francis Effect"
New England News
Wed April 3, 2013
Conn. lawmakers to vote on gun control package
Connecticut lawmakers are expected to pass a package of gun control measures they believe are some of the most comprehensive in the country, following the Newtown school massacre.
Debate on the far-reaching legislation, negotiated by Democratic and Republican legislative leaders, is expected to begin later this morning.
It could last for hours. Both gun rights advocates and gun control supporters are expected to show up in large numbers.
Some measures in the bill would take effect immediately, including expansion of the state's assault weapons ban, background checks for all firearms sales, and a ban on the sale or purchase of ammunition magazines holding more than 10 rounds.
Gov. Dannel Malloy says he'll sign the legislation into law. Many family members of the shooting victims have voiced their support.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.