Most Active Stories
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
New England News
Mon January 7, 2013
Conn. Mayor: Name School for Newtown Teacher
The mayor of Stratford, Conn. is proposing to name a school for a teacher who was killed in the massacre in nearby Newtown.
Mayor John Harkins says the bravery shown by Victoria Soto in protecting her children should never be forgotten.
The 27-year-old Soto was a Stratford resident. She was killed Dec. 14 inside Sandy Hook Elementary School as she tried to shield her students from the gunman. The shooter killed 20 children and six women at the school before committing suicide.
Harkins on Monday proposed to give Soto's name to a new school. Construction is set to begin this summer.
The name must be approved by the town council, which is expected to take up the matter on Jan. 14.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.