Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
New England News
Tue July 24, 2012
Connecticut Officials Planning Emergency Drill
Connecticut officials are planning an emergency preparedness drill to try to improve communication between utility companies and state and local governments.
The four-day, statewide exercise begins Saturday and is designed to simulate an emergency resulting from a Category 3 hurricane.
Lt. Gov. Nancy Wyman said Tuesday that the goal is to spare residents the frustration they endured during the prolonged power outages following a snow storm last October.
The exercise is coordinated by the state's Division of Emergency Management and Homeland Security. Municipalities that have volunteered to take part are receiving $1,200 toward the local costs from a federal grant.
Other participants include power companies, phone utilities, tribal nations and representatives of the private sector.
Copyright 2012, Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.