Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
New York News
Wed January 16, 2013
Contested NY Senate seat vote goes to top court
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — New York's highest court will soon decide whether to count additional ballots in a tight state Senate race.
Both Republican George Amedore and Democrat Cecilia Tkaczyk (KAT'-chik) have filed appeals over ballots in the new 46th Senate District. .
lthough a judge in December declared Amedore the winner by 37 votes out of 126,000 ballots cast, a midlevel court last week ordered 99 ballots added to the tally.
Most were challenged by Republicans.
The Court of Appeals has stayed that order and called for replies Monday. The court could rule Tuesday.
A Tkaczyk win would give Democrats a 33-seat majority. However, five breakaway Democrats have allied with 31 Republicans in a ruling coalition.
Also, Brooklyn Democratic Sen. Simcha Felder is sitting with the Republicans
(c) 2013 Associated Press