Most Active Stories
- Health Summit Focuses On Gender Equality In Clinical Research
- The Gooey Chocolate Cookie Recipe That's Worth $5,000
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Retracing The Steps Of Solomon Northup In Saratoga Springs
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
North Country News
Fri July 26, 2013
Convicted Sex Offender Released in Vermont
Vermont Governor Peter Shumlin says newly released sex offender Timothy Szad is heading to California.
The 53-year-old Szad was released early Friday morning from the state prison in Springfield VT after serving his maximum sentence. The man, deemed a high risk to re-offend, had been slated to live with family in Springfield, but that plan was dropped after public outcry in the community.
Corrections officials had said Szad instead would move out of state, but would not say where he was going. Later Friday morning, Governor Shumlin issued a statement saying he was pleased arrangements had been made for Szad to live in California.
Szad was sentenced in 2001 for sexually assaulting a 13-year-old boy.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.