Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
New York News
Tue August 21, 2012
Cops Say Prop Fell off Plane Before Crash on NY Lake
Authorities say a small plane that was forced to land on an Adirondack lake last week had lost its propeller in midair.
State police tell the Adirondack Daily Enterprise that the privately owned, single-engine Jabiru was flying at about 6,500 feet last Thursday when the propeller came off. The pilot managed to crash-land the plane in Gull Lake in northern Herkimer County.
He and his passenger were rescued soon after by New York Air National Guard helicopter crews flying to Fort Drum.
The plane was contracted by the Department of Defense to support a Vermont Air National Guard training exercise. It was recovered from the lake over the weekend by a private salvage company.
The cause of the crash remains under investigation.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.