Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Where Did That Fried Chicken Stereotype Come From?
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
New England News
Tue May 8, 2012
CT House Approves $20.5B Budget
The state House of Representatives has approved a $20.5 billion budget deal reached between Governor Dannel P. Malloy and Democratic legislative leaders that would address the growing deficit and increase future spending by $143 million.
The House voted 95-49 along party lines in favor of the plan at about 2:30 a.m. Tuesday. It now goes to the Senate.
The budget plan for the fiscal year that begins July 1 would increase education aid to cities and towns by $50 million. But it also would trim about $28 million from Malloy's original $128 million education proposal.
The proposal also includes about $900 million in spending cuts and labor savings from a deal with state employees.
Republicans criticized the budget plan as unsustainable and said it contains short-term gimmicks.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.