Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Where Did That Fried Chicken Stereotype Come From?
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
New England News
Mon June 4, 2012
CT House Speaker: No One Bought My Influence
Defiant and emotional, Connecticut House Speaker Christopher Donovan denies that he did anything wrong as federal investigators look into his congressional campaign's finances.
Donovan held a sidewalk news conference Sunday evening outside his campaign office in Meriden.
Federal prosecutors had announced Thursday that Donovan's campaign finance manager had been arrested for allegedly conspiring with others to hide the source of $20,000 in campaign contributions.
The allegations involve contributions connected to an effort to kill legislation that would have raised taxes and fees on "roll-your-own" smoke shop owners.
Donovan says he is heartsick, disappointed and angry about the allegations. But he says no one ever bought his influence.
His spokesman Gabe Rosenberg stepped in repeatedly to say the candidate wouldn't be discussing any details of the investigation.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.