Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
New England News
Thu August 30, 2012
CT House Speaker Withdraws from Congressional Race
Connecticut House Speaker Chris Donovan is withdrawing as a third party candidate for the state’s 5th Congressional District.
After losing the Democratic primary on Aug. 14 to former state Rep. Elizabeth Esty, Donovan could have remained in the race because he was cross-endorsed by the Connecticut Working Families Party.
Donovan submitted a letter to Secretary of the State Denise Merrill on Thursday requesting that his name be withdrawn. Merrill said the party has until Sept. 5 to nominate someone else if it wants to put on a candidate on the November ballot. Party leaders met Wednesday privately with Esty, but have not said whether they plan to now endorse her.
Some Democratic leaders opposed Donovan running as a third party candidate, fearing it would help Republican state Sen. Andrew Roraback.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.