Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
- Conservation Group Praises USCG, EPA Oil-Spill Response Plan Effort
New York News
Mon May 20, 2013
Cuomo Addresses Ethics At Cabinet Meeting
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo held a cabinet meeting this afternoon at the state capitol. Issues discussed included jobs, education reform, drunk driving laws, pistol permits, and perhaps inevitably on the same day Brooklyn Assemblyman Vito Lopez resigned his seat, ethics. Cuomo says corruption is rampant throughout government and society, and telegraphed the idea people are accustomed to it.
The governor didn't mince words when it came down to queries regarding Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver's involvement in the Lopez matter. Silver has been criticized for his handling of the case, which started with confidential payoffs to sexual harassment accusers.
Cuomo says now that Lopez has resigned, he hopes the incident will inspire lawmakers in a positive way.
The governor believes the appropriate action was taken in the Lopez case, and he hopes legislators will live and learn from the experience. A Siena poll released the same day showed voters are increasingly unhappy with Albany, and roughly nine out of 10 expect more legislators to fall.