Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
New York News
Thu November 15, 2012
Cuomo aide defends high bidder for DMV licenses
A top Cuomo administration aide is weighing into a dispute over the awarding of a contract to produce new driver's licenses with black-and-white photos. He says the choice is the best safeguard against terrorists and identity thieves. WAMC’s Dave Lucas reports.
State Director of Operations Howard Glaser is criticizing two state senators who questioned the tentative award of an $88.5 million contract to a Canadian company that was 40 percent higher than the next bid.
Glaser says Thursday the senators should get their facts straight to see if they want to sacrifice New Yorkers' security by going with the lowest bidder.
The two apparent losing bidders complain that CBN Secure Technologies was unfairly chosen.
One competitor, De La Rue North America, says its proposal exceeded the state's security requirements and provides color photos.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.