Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- White House Cites Pre-Existing Condition Case From Its Own Ranks
- The Truth About The Left Brain / Right Brain Relationship
New York News
Wed January 2, 2013
Cuomo commission pushes longer school day, year
Many of the recommendations released Wednesday have been proposed before but blocked by politics or lack of funding. Gov. Andrew Cuomo says those remain major obstacles.
Some of the ideas are already in place to some degree, including teacher competency tests and using schools to address health, mental health and other social needs.
The commission noted Finland recruits the top 10 percent of college graduates into teaching, while the United States draws from the bottom third or half.
It also wants to reward top educators and consolidate administrations.
Cuomo may back some of the proposals in his State of the State speech.
© 2013 AP
New England News
Hudson Valley News