Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- North Adams Goes Unsilent: Electronic Audio Experience Fills Streets
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
New York News
Sat December 15, 2012
Cuomo demands action on federal storm aid
Governor Andrew Cuomo says New York has helped out other states after disasters so it's time for the federal government to step up and help The Empire State following Superstorm Sandy… WAMC’s Dave Lucas has more.
Cuomo's push came one day after a public plea from the governors of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. They say members of Congress shouldn't leave for the holidays until they decide on aid for states battered by Sandy.
They and about 125 New York CEOs also urged Congress to quickly pass a $60 billion aid package.
At a news conference Friday, Cuomo said the aid is "critically important."
Congressman Peter King, a New York Republican, says high-stakes budget negotiations were already under way when Sandy hit. That's made the aid request more challenging.
- © 2012 The Associated Press.