Most Active Stories
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- White House Cites Pre-Existing Condition Case From Its Own Ranks
North Country News
Tue May 21, 2013
Cuomo, Mohawk Leaders Sign Casino Pact
Governor Andrew Cuomo and St. Regis Mohawk tribal leaders have signed an agreement to ensure the Mohawks keep their exclusive casino territory in northern New York while paying the state $30 million in gambling proceeds that have been withheld.
Tuesday's accord also opens the door to negotiations over Mohawk land claims near their reservation along the Canadian border. Talks are expected to start in 10 days.
St. Regis Mohawk Chief Ron LaFrance says the focus will be about 5,000 to 7,000 acres east of the reservation.
While the state agrees to remove the eight-county region the Cuomo administration's proposed legislation for placing three new casinos in New York, the tribe is agreeing to also pay 25 percent of future gaming revenues to the state with shares going to the counties.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.