Most Active Stories
- Oakland Sweeps Yankees 3-2 In 18 Innings
- Report Cards Assessing Vermont Legislature on Business Issues Released
- Dr. Elizabeth Greene, Western University – Roman Shoes
- Dr. Leah Lakdawala, Michigan State University – Prenatal Sexism
- Dr. Thomas Wartenberg, Mount Holyoke College – Philosophy of Children’s Books
WAMC New York News
Thu July 21, 2011
Cuomo Mulling Medical Marijuana Use in NY
Albany, NY – Governor Andrew Cuomo, who in last year's campaign shut the door on a medical marijuana law, now says he's reconsidering. WAMC's Tristan O'Neill reports...
The Democrat says he's talking to both sides on the issue, but hasn't changed his view opposing the prescription use of marijuana.
In the week before his election in November, Cuomo said the dangers of legalizing marijuana even for medicinal use outweigh the benefits. Cuomo said then that he had smoked marijuana in his youth.
On Tuesday, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie approved that state's medical marijuana program.
Democratic New York Senator Diane Savino of Staten Island says New York must follow New Jersey's lead to help patients of cancer, multiple sclerosis and other diseases.
Tristan O'Neill, WAMC News.
Copyright 2011 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.