Most Active Stories
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
New York News
Tue January 21, 2014
Cuomo To Release His NY Budget Proposal
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo is set to present a budget proposal detailing how he will pay for a broad program of tax breaks while maintaining funding for schools, health care and infrastructure.
The governor will release a budget proposal to the Legislature in Albany this afternoon that is expected to top $136 billion. Cuomo and state lawmakers will try to maintain their three-year streak of reaching a final budget deal by the start of the state fiscal year April 1.
Cuomo says his budget will usher in three years of projected surpluses if lawmakers hold spending growth below 2 percent.
The governor says that New York can provide tax relief and increase investments in education, health care and economic development, even with the spending cap.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.