Most Active Stories
- Retracing The Steps Of Solomon Northup In Saratoga Springs
- Health Summit Focuses On Gender Equality In Clinical Research
- Vox Pop : Medical Monday - Dr. Richard Horowitz : 2/24/14
- Senate Republicans Block Sanders Omnibus Veterans Bill
- Dr. David Trilling, Northern Arizona University - Can an asteroid impact Earth?
New York News
Wed August 1, 2012
Cuomo's role as AG questioned in trooper probe
Published reports say a former state police superintendent accused then-Attorney General Andrew Cuomo of dissuading troopers from securing lawyers during a probe of their agency. That could have been an ethics violation. WAMC’s Dave Lucas has more…
The New York Times and the Times Union of Albany report Tuesday that former Superintendent Pedro Perez said Cuomo told him that appearing for questioning with lawyers would make it appear troopers had something to hide.
Cuomo disputes that account and says Perez was told veteran state police counsel Glenn Valle (VAL'-ee) couldn't be used because Valle would be questioned.
Cuomo was investigating then-Gov. David Paterson's claim a rogue unit operated in the agency.
Cuomo's spokesman couldn't immediately show how his office had authority to reject the troopers' requests, but said Valle's representation would have been a conflict.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press