DA Recuses Himself From Troy Police Shooting

Aug 30, 2017

Rensselaer County District Attorney Joel Abelove is now recusing himself from the investigation into a police officer-involved shooting in Troy earlier this month. 

Abelove says he has determined a conflict of interest after a review of pending cases involving Troy Police Officer Jarrod Iler in his office. Abelove says he is seeking to have a special district attorney appointed to oversee the investigation into the August 15 shooting of Dahmeek McDonald, who survived.

Abelove had rejected earlier calls to recuse himself. The FBI joined the investigation last week.

Abelove's office sent the following statement to WAMC News Wednesday.

“After conducting a thorough review of pending cases in my office in which Troy Police Officer Jarrod Iler is involved, I have determined that a conflict of interest exists which necessitates my recusal from this investigation. While I am certain that my office has the ability to conduct a fair and impartial prosecution in this matter, the aforementioned conflict requires my office to seek recusal. In that regard, I have submitted a request to the Court seeking to have a Special District Attorney appointed in this matter.”