Most Active Stories
- Scenic Rail Planned for Northern Berkshires, But Work Remains
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Two NYS Legislators Look To Regulate E-Cigarettes
- Mayor-Elect, City Leaders Call For Verizon FIOS In Albany
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
WAMC News, North Country News
Fri July 13, 2012
Data Indicates High Gas Profits In Burlington
Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders has released data that he says shows the Burlington area has one of the highest profit margins for gas dealers in the country.
Senator Sanders has called for a federal investigation into the price at the pumps in the Chittenden County area - the most populous area of Vermont. On Friday, he released data from the Oil Price Information Service that indicates Burlington has the most lucrative gas market in the Northeast, with profit margins at the end of June double the national average.
The Burlington Free Press reports that gas distributors and Joe Choquette, a spokesman for the Vermont Petroleum Association dispute the accuracy of the data.