Most Active Stories
- Retracing The Steps Of Solomon Northup In Saratoga Springs
- Health Summit Focuses On Gender Equality In Clinical Research
- Vox Pop : Medical Monday - Dr. Richard Horowitz : 2/24/14
- Senate Republicans Block Sanders Omnibus Veterans Bill
- Dr. David Trilling, Northern Arizona University - Can an asteroid impact Earth?
New York News
Wed November 6, 2013
De Blasio Elected NY Mayor In Landslide
Bill de Blasio is the first Democrat elected mayor of New York City in a generation.
And he will rise to power hoping his landslide victory will grant him a mandate to push forward an ambitious liberal legislative agenda and tackle a looming fiscal crisis.
He was trouncing Republican rival Joe Lhota by nearly 50 percentage points in incomplete, unofficial returns on Tuesday.
He now will go to Albany claiming a mandate for a tax hike on the wealthy to fund universal pre-kindergarten.
De Blasio, the public advocate, will also soon pick a new schools chancellor and police commissioner and negotiate new contracts with the city's unions. The unions want $7.8 billion in back pay.
De Blasio takes office Jan. 1 replacing outgoing Mayor Michael Bloomberg.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.