Most Active Stories
- Saratoga County Sheriff's Sgt. Resigns, Charged With Misconduct After Video Goes Viral
- Pittsfield's 3rd Thursdays Undergoes Changes For 2015 Season
- Donation Of Historic Amusement Park May Be Brought To Referendum
- Maloney: de Blasio "Should Have Head Examined" After Withholding Clinton Endorsement
- Williams College New Environmental Center Reaching For High Bar
New England News
Tue April 2, 2013
Death of Berkshire County Canoeist Ruled "Tragic Accident"
The death of a Berkshire County man who died in a canoe accident on the Housatonic River is being ruled an accident.
The Berkshire County District’s attorney’s office has called the death of 21-year-old Rupert Norris Vonbockbrader of Alford a “tragic accident.”
The Berkshire Eagle reports that the search and recovery for the man over the weekend involved over 60 emergency responders, including personnel from the fire departments from Stockbridge, Lenox, and New Marlborough, ambulance squads from Lenox and Lee, Massachusetts State Police, State Environmental Police, the Berkshire County Dive Team, and a State Police Air Wing helicopter sent from Westover Air Base.
Authorities said the incident occurred at around 2 am Saturday morning.
Information from the Berkshire Eagle was used in this report.