Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
- Conservation Group Praises USCG, EPA Oil-Spill Response Plan Effort
New England News
Tue April 2, 2013
Death of Berkshire County Canoeist Ruled "Tragic Accident"
The death of a Berkshire County man who died in a canoe accident on the Housatonic River is being ruled an accident.
The Berkshire County District’s attorney’s office has called the death of 21-year-old Rupert Norris Vonbockbrader of Alford a “tragic accident.”
The Berkshire Eagle reports that the search and recovery for the man over the weekend involved over 60 emergency responders, including personnel from the fire departments from Stockbridge, Lenox, and New Marlborough, ambulance squads from Lenox and Lee, Massachusetts State Police, State Environmental Police, the Berkshire County Dive Team, and a State Police Air Wing helicopter sent from Westover Air Base.
Authorities said the incident occurred at around 2 am Saturday morning.
Information from the Berkshire Eagle was used in this report.