Most Active Stories
- Scenic Rail Planned for Northern Berkshires, But Work Remains
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Two NYS Legislators Look To Regulate E-Cigarettes
- Mayor-Elect, City Leaders Call For Verizon FIOS In Albany
- MTA Police Identify Passengers Who Died In Metro-North Train Derailment
New England News
Tue April 2, 2013
Death of Berkshire County Canoeist Ruled "Tragic Accident"
The death of a Berkshire County man who died in a canoe accident on the Housatonic River is being ruled an accident.
The Berkshire County District’s attorney’s office has called the death of 21-year-old Rupert Norris Vonbockbrader of Alford a “tragic accident.”
The Berkshire Eagle reports that the search and recovery for the man over the weekend involved over 60 emergency responders, including personnel from the fire departments from Stockbridge, Lenox, and New Marlborough, ambulance squads from Lenox and Lee, Massachusetts State Police, State Environmental Police, the Berkshire County Dive Team, and a State Police Air Wing helicopter sent from Westover Air Base.
Authorities said the incident occurred at around 2 am Saturday morning.
Information from the Berkshire Eagle was used in this report.