Most Active Stories
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
Mon September 17, 2012
Dedication Set After Expansion at Vermont Health Center
Vermont officials are celebrating the completion of a $1.2 million expansion at the Plainfield Health Center.
On Monday, the health center unveiled its new facilities, which will house more mental health services — including psychiatrists — space for yoga classes and to store a mobile dental program.
The 5,000-square-foot building was paid for by $988,000 federal stimulus funding and about $200,000 raised locally.
In the past decade, Vermont has gone from having two federally qualified health centers to eight, including 47 sites where more than 120,000 Vermonters get primary health care, dental care, mental health counseling and low-cost prescription drugs.
U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders has helped secure $12.5 billion to expand health centers across the country, train primary care physicians and double to 40 million the number of patients served.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.