Most Active Stories
- Dr. Russell Johnson, Michigan State University - The Harmful Effects of Smartphones
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- The Great Debate - Single Payer or Private Insurance
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- Dr. Chad Jensen, Brigham Young University - Specific types of bullying have specific results
North Country News
Thu January 24, 2013
Deep Freeze to Continue into Weekend in East
A teeth-chattering cold wave with sub-zero temperatures is expected to keep its icy grip on much of the eastern U.S. into the weekend before seasonable temperatures bring relief.
The polar air mass prompted the National Weather Service to issue wind chill warnings across upstate New York and northern New England.
In northern Maine, the temperature dipped to as low as 36 degrees below zero Wednesday morning. The weather service is calling for wind chills as low as minus-45.
In Frenchville, Maine, restaurant owner Keith Pelletier says it's so cold that even snowmobilers are staying inside. His customers are dressed in multiple layers of clothing and keep their cars running in his parking lot while they're eating lunch.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.