Most Active Stories
- MA And CT Declare State Of Emergency, Issues Travel Bans As Winter Blast Nears
- New York State Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver Arrested On Corruption Charges
- NYS Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver Charged in Corruption Scheme
- Wrinkles In Schenectady Casino Planning
- International Paper Employee Dies From Injuries
WAMC New York News
Mon June 13, 2005
Defoliating caterpillar hurting sugar maples
By Pat Bradley
Poultney, VT – The three-and-a-half inch long Forest Tent Caterpillar has been found in many parts of Vermont, and last year defoliated an estimated 90-thousand acres of forest. A favorite target of the caterpillar is the sugar maple, and worries are mounting about how much damage the caterpillar might do to Vermont's maple trees this year.
WAMC's North Country Bureau Chief Pat Bradley has more.