Most Active Stories
- Next In NYS: Legal Marijuana?
- Family Of Norman Rockwell Angered Over Conclusions Drawn In New Rockwell Biography
- Riverkeeper Raises Concern Over Fracking Waste As De-Icer For NY Roads
- An Apple A Day Keeps The Doctor Away, And Statins Do, Too
- Dr. Robert Levenson, University of California Berkeley - Genetics of Marital Bliss
New England News
Mon October 28, 2013
Demolition Proceeds at Conn. School Shooting Site
NEWTOWN, Conn. (AP) — Demolition crews have torn down about half of the elementary school in Connecticut where a gunman killed 26 people last year.
The town aims to finish razing the building by the anniversary of the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown on Dec. 14.
Crews began the demolition work Thursday and photographs taken by air Monday show about half the school has been knocked down.
A gunman shot his way into the building last December and killed 20 first-graders and six adult staff members before committing suicide in one of the deadliest school shootings in U.S. history. The gunman also killed his mother before driving to the school.
Town officials say they are asking the contractors to crush building materials on site to prevent anybody from taking remnants as souvenirs.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.