Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Where Did That Fried Chicken Stereotype Come From?
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
Around the Nation
Mon February 20, 2012
Des Moines Welcomes Thousands Of Bacon Fans
Originally published on Mon February 20, 2012 6:56 am
RENEE MONTAGNE, HOST:
Good morning. I'm Renee Montagne. Four thousand pork lovers descended on Des Moines over the weekend for annual Blue Ribbon Bacon Festival. There were treats like bacon butterscotch cupcakes, bacon-infused donut balls and bacon-wrapped jalapenos. There were health groups protesting at the Iowa State Fairgrounds, but one young festivalgoer told the Des Moines register it's cultural. Only in Iowa will people come together to eat a bunch of bacon-covered bacon. It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright National Public Radio.