Most Active Stories
- Cheerios Commercial Leaves Bitter Taste
- Breaking the Sound Barrier - NPR Labs Brings Radio To Hearing Impaired
- Dr. Dorothy Peteet, Columbia University – Hudson River and Climate Records
- Dr. Sara Konrath, University of Michigan – Age and Empathy
- Mass. Medical Marijuana Regulations Approved, Communities Prepare For Dispensaries
North Country News
Thu March 7, 2013
DGA Chair Welcomes Chafee to Join Dems
The head of the Democratic Governors Association is encouraging Rhode Island Governor Lincoln Chafee, an Independent, to become a Democrat.
DGA Chairman Governor Peter Shumlin, of Vermont, this week described Chafee as "a very thoughtful person" with strong ties to Democratic governors and President Barack Obama. Shumlin told The Associated Press, "We would welcome him to the Democratic Party."
Chafee says he's considering the switch, but offered no timeline for a decision when asked this week. He's facing his first reelection test in 20 months. Chafee won his first term in 2010 with 36 percent of the vote.
Shumlin, as chairman of the Democratic Governors Association, becomes the most prominent national voice to encourage Chafee to become a Democrat.
Chafee, a former Republican senator, is the nation's only independent governor.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.