Most Active Stories
- Retracing The Steps Of Solomon Northup In Saratoga Springs
- Health Summit Focuses On Gender Equality In Clinical Research
- Vox Pop : Medical Monday - Dr. Richard Horowitz : 2/24/14
- Senate Republicans Block Sanders Omnibus Veterans Bill
- Dr. David Trilling, Northern Arizona University - Can an asteroid impact Earth?
New England News
Fri December 7, 2012
Disaster Declaration Sought In Springfield Gas Explosion
Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick has asked for a federal disaster declaration for the victims of the Springfield natural gas explosion. WAMC’s Paul Tuthill reports
A preliminary assessment by state and local officials determined damage from last month’s gas explosion exceeds the criteria for a disaster declaration by the Small Business Administration. Mayor Domenic Sarno said if the declaration is made it would let affected individuals and businesses apply for low interest loans for uninsured losses
The explosion, which was blamed on an error by a gas company worker, leveled one building, and damaged about 40 residential and commercial properties in a three block radius of the downtown area known as the Entertainment District.