Most Active Stories
- Scenic Rail Planned for Northern Berkshires, But Work Remains
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Two NYS Legislators Look To Regulate E-Cigarettes
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Mayor-Elect, City Leaders Call For Verizon FIOS In Albany
Capital Region News
Mon July 15, 2013
Does Apple have an 'i' on the Capital Region?
Tech website cnet.com hints that Apple may be interested in "buying into" a share of an existing chip fab plant on the GlobalFoundries campus in Saratoga County. Cnet says if Apple owned capacity at a fab, it would maintain control over design. The Times Union reports Senator Chuck Schumer has been forging a deal between the iPhone maker and GlobalFoundries that would have the latter manufacturing computer chips for use in Apple devices. Observers say if the deal goes through, Apple could turn upstate New York into a global chipmaking hot spot.
New York News