The public is being urged to avoid two water bodies within the city of Albany.
The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation has identified that Washington Park Lake and Buckingham Pond have been infected with Blue-Green Algae Bloom. Both lake and pond are located in heavily-trafficked populated areas.
Residents should be aware of the following guidelines:
• Don’t swim, wade or fish near blooms or surface scum
• Don’t drink the water
• Keep children and animals away from any blooms or scums
• Rinse with clean water if exposed
• Consider medical attention if you have symptoms of nausea, vomiting or diarrhea, skin, eye or throat irritation, allergic reaction or breathing difficulties
• Report symptoms to the health department
Mayor Jerry Jennings advises residents to stay away from the two bodies of water to avoid health repercussions of coming in contact with Blue-Green Algae Bloom... the Mayor notes that the upcoming change in weather will eliminate the blooms.
Advisory signs have been posted at both sites.