Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- North Adams Goes Unsilent: Electronic Audio Experience Fills Streets
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Conservation Group Praises USCG, EPA Oil-Spill Response Plan Effort
Mon October 10, 2011
Dr. Calvin Chen, Mount Holyoke College - Chinese Factories and Italian Fashion
Albany, NY – In today's Academic Minute, Dr. Calvin Chen of Mount Holyoke College explains the Italian fashion industry's increasing reliance on factories owned and operated by Chinese emigrants.
Calvin Chen is an associate professor of politics at Mount Holyoke College where his research interests include the political economy of East Asia, Chinese politics, work and labor politics, and rural economic development. In the 1990s, Chen lived and labored alongside Chinese workers in Zhejiang province south of Shanghai, interacting with former farmers to better understand the success of their collective and private manufacturing enterprises. Chen holds a Ph.D. from the University of California, Berkeley.