Most Active Stories
- Oakland Sweeps Yankees 3-2 In 18 Innings
- Report Cards Assessing Vermont Legislature on Business Issues Released
- Dr. Elizabeth Greene, Western University – Roman Shoes
- Dr. Leah Lakdawala, Michigan State University – Prenatal Sexism
- Dr. Thomas Wartenberg, Mount Holyoke College – Philosophy of Children’s Books
Mon August 20, 2012
Dr. Darby Dyar, Mount Holyoke College – Mars Rover Laser
In today’s Academic Minute, Dr. Darby Dyar of Mount Holyoke College explains one of the more spectacular instruments aboard the Mars Science Lab’s Curiosity rover.
Darby Dyar is a professor of astronomy at Mount Holyoke College where she specializes in mineral spectroscopy. Her research seeks to understand how hydrogen and oxygen are distributed throughout our solar system, particularly in terrestrial bodies such as the Earth, the Moon, Mars, and the parent bodies of meteorites. Dyar is currently a participating scientist on NASA’s Mars Science Laboratory mission. She holds a Ph.D. from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.