Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- White House Cites Pre-Existing Condition Case From Its Own Ranks
- Dr. Lynsey Romo, North Carolina State University - Weight Loss and Relationships
Mon April 11, 2011
Dr. Meagan Curtis, Purchase College SUNY - Emotional Communication and Music
Albany, NY – In today's Academic Minute, Dr. Meagan Curtis of Purchase College points out similarities in how emotion is conveyed through music and speech.
Meagan Curtis is an assistant professor of psychology at Purchase College. As a postdoctoral fellow at Tufts University, she conducted research into the communication of emotion through speech and music, focusing on the similarities between musical phrase structures and linguistic syntax. Her research also examined the relationship between culture and musical behaviors in Indian and Western musicians, as well as the perception of music within and across cultures.