Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Where Did That Fried Chicken Stereotype Come From?
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
Wed December 26, 2012
Dr. Sylvia Alajaji, Franklin and Marshall College – Female Rap in the Islamic World
This week we're featuring five winners of the 2012 Academic Minute Senior Superlatives.
Sylvia Alajaji of Franklin and Marshall College earned The President’s Award for her explanation of how female rap artists are promoting women’s rights in the Muslim world.
Sylvia Alajaji is an assistant professor of music at Franklin and Marshall College in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. She teaches courses on the music and culture of the Middle East and the use of music as a political weapon. Alajaji holds a Ph.D. in musicology from the Eastman School of Music at the University of Rochester.