Most Active Stories
- Scenic Rail Planned for Northern Berkshires, But Work Remains
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Mayor-Elect, City Leaders Call For Verizon FIOS In Albany
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
New England News
Fri March 1, 2013
"East Coast Rapist" Sentenced to Life in Prison
MANASSAS, Va. (AP) — A Connecticut man who became known as the "East Coast Rapist" for a series of sexual assaults over more than a decade from Rhode Island to Virginia has been sentenced to life in prison.
The three life terms imposed Friday on Aaron Thomas of New Haven, Conn., followed his guilty plea last year in Manassas, Virgina for abducting three teenage trick-or-treaters and raping two of them on Halloween 2009 in Prince William County.
Those attacks were the last in a series of 17 assaults going back to 1997 that police linked by DNA evidence. Thomas was arrested in Connecticut in March 2011 after a multi-state law enforcement effort.
Authorities say Thomas was responsible for assaults in Maryland, Virginia, Connecticut and Rhode Island.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.